Mr UMEMURA'S WOKSHOPS (continued)

This week I will continue last week's theme, the recent workshops given by Mr Yoshiro Umemura for the Melbourne branch of the Sogetsu School.

On the second day, the first exercise was to make an arrangement which emphasised the lines at the base of the work. Mr Umemura pointed out that this exercise reminds us of the attention given to the base of a Rikka arrangement in which all of the materials rise in a single column from the surface of the water in the vessel. You can see some examples of this traditional style that was first developed in the late 15th century, Rikka photos *.

For this exercise I used New Zealand flax and three irises in a small deep bowl. I have looped the flax to create interest at the top of the work and left the base simple with 'clean lines'.


The second exercise for the day was to make an arrangement 'To be viewed from all angles'. This can be quite difficult because the work should look different and attractive from each direction. I must confess I was not happy with the result of my work. I created some interesting shapes with some apricot branches by wiring the ends of the fine branches, but their placement across the vessel was not satisfactory and not stable. I was however, satisfied that the arrangement did look different as I looked at it from different angles. I have added coral tree flowers, and sedge leaves on one side.



I re-worked this material in an ikebana I created for an art exhibition in Torquay this weekend. In the photo below the shapes I created with the apricot branches are a bit clearer and this time I have added  some leucadendrons * and a single sedge leaf. 



Photos of the second day of workshops may be viewed  by clicking on the blue text: Mr Umemura in Melbourne * then click on the tab 'Recent Workshops'.

(click on the blue text for more information)

Greetings from Christopher
9th August 2014

1 comment: