COLOURFUL BIRDS at CHRISTMAS

Thanks to my friend Shirley, the un-identified pea-shaped flowers in the first arrangement (by Alana) of last week's posting, have been correctly identified as Erythrina crista-galli, (Cock spur-coral-tree); from South America, not Africa as I had said. While following up Shirley's lead, I was interested to discover this plant has been named as a potential weed * in the northern coastal regions of New South Wales and Queensland.

I do hope you have had a good Christmas. Here on the south coast of Victoria the summer weather has begun and many families have come to the seaside for the long school holidays. Among the sights I have noticed in recent days have been some beautifully colourful birds .


This Rainbow Lorikeet * was feasting on the nectar from a eucalypt in our garden.


Here are two Galahs * feeding on seeds in the grass in front of a neighbours house.


I was especially delighted to capture this photo of a male Blue wren * (malurus cyaneus)   in the heathland above Bells Beach. It is a very small bird, shy and very quick in its movements and so hard to photograph.

At the last class with my teacher, our exercise was to make a Christmas arrangement. I wanted to make something a little understated and was pleased when I found two Goddess Lilies * (Zantedeschia aethiopica). I inserted two small red Christmas baubles in the throat of each. I have arranged them with some deites leaves in matching black suibans (shallow ikebana vessels) so that they could be placed on a buffet or as a table decoration.


With best wishes and seasons greetings from
Christopher.

27th December 2014

* Click on the blue text for further information





1 comment:

  1. A lovely arrangement, it gives a peaceful feeling just looking at it and such an interesting idea for the use of your Christmas ornaments!
    I enjoy seeing the lovely birds and interesting vegetation you have growing in your area.

    ReplyDelete