FLOWERS at a TASTING

A couple of weeks ago I was asked to create some ikebana for a sake tasting and lecture, that was part of the cultural program of the Consulate-General of Japan in Melbourne. The event was attended by the Consul-General, Ms Keiko Haneda, and about 80 interested people. 

I made three arrangements, two of which were placed in the corners of the room where the tasting was to take place.



For this first arrangement I created a framework of black bamboo sticks from my garden that I 'dowelled' together using skewers. I then added dried agapanthus flower-heads and pink oriental lilies. The lines of the bamboo and colours of the floral materials pick up the colours and form of the vase made by Graeme Wilkie from Qdos Gallery, Lorne * .



Next I used inverted agapanthus stems to create the main structure and added partially dried flower-heads and three heliconia flowers as a colour accent. This vase is also by Graeme Wilkie.



The third arrangement was at the front of the room adjacent to the guest speaker. In this larger arrangement I used black bamboo, white oriental lilies, dried agapanthus flower-heads and a sinuous line of red cane. The arrangement was dramatically lit by an overhead spotlight that made the materials glow. The vase is by Alistaire Whyte * .
The photos were taken by Mr Katsuyoshi Yabe.

If you live within driving/walking distance of the Gasworks Art Park * in Melbourne I would like to recommend a visit to the outside sculpture exhibition today and tomorrow (11th and 12th April). 

Greetings from Christopher
11th April 2015

* Click on the blue text for further information

No comments:

Post a Comment