HEADING TOWARD CHRISTMAS


In my posting last week Mentioned the Australian native plant species Xanthorrhoea, because of the use of its long grass-like leaves by Mrs Ishikawa at the Book 5 workshops in Sydney. During this week, when I went for a walk along the clifftops, I was reminded of her arrangement when I noticed some xanthorrhoeas in flower. This particular variety is low growing and does not develop a trunk. 


  
  

I also could not help noticing the masses of fluffy seed heads of clematis micro-phylla that had developed over recent weeks. 



   


   

This shows how the flowers looked in August when I first posted this photo... 


...and the beginnings of the seed-head formation in September. 

At the second last class for my Geelong students, Helen and Tess were doing supplementary exercises as they both finish Book 2 of the Sogetsu curriculum.



Helen made two arrangements 'for a festive occasion', in this case an Australian Christmas. In her first work she has used red green and silver as traditional colours for the season.



In this second arrangement the focus was on the beautiful lines of a dried eucalyptus branch that has been sprayed silver. The fresh green material is a small sprig of grevillea and the white a mass of geranium flowers. Helen said the very metallic silver was 'chrome' spray paint.



Tess chose to make a 'Variation No. 4 Hanging' arrangement for her revision. She has used a beautiful prunus branch with some deep red gerberas.

The senior students were asked to make an arrangement using an 'everyday object as the vase'



Ellie made a massed and a floating arrangement 'in the same tonal range' using a tagine base and lid.



Christine made this arrangement of spring onions in a paper cylinder she found.

What follows is an item of 'house keeping' for want of a better description. Last week I was pleased to receive a 'comment' on my post. So thank you 'irby' from Nevada. In recent times I have not replied to comments because my reply becomes buried by the next post. For the information of those who make comments, I need to advise that I do not see your email address. If you would like to correspond with me please email me at: roadsideikebana@bigpond.com

Greetings from Christopher
3rd December 2017


I would like to congratulate my colleague Lara Telford who will finish her 3 months studying at the Sogetsu Headquarters at the end of this week where she has been the latest recipient of the Norman and Mary Sparnon Endowment scholarship. She has a new posting on her blog from Tokyo. This is part two so make sure you scroll down further to see part one.




No comments:

Post a Comment