AUTUMN ARRANGEMENT with POMEGRANATE



We have a new winter flowering plant in our garden. I have been nursing it in a pot for a couple of months waiting until we get the first of the autumn rain.


This is an Australian native flower from the south west of Western Australia called Isopogon cuneatus and known commonly as a 'Drumstick' flower, because of its straight stem and globular head. 

'Known commonly' is not the same as 'commonly known'. I for one must admit I had never heard of it before and do not remember seeing it either. The plant was a gift from my ikebana friend Trish. It has only been in the ground for a few weeks and the first of its flowers has now started to open.


Interestingly, it is not a single flower but actually an inflorescence made up of many small rather strange tubular flowers that have a bright yellow 'pistol' (I think), which seems to start yellow then turns red.



In the past week the weather has become much colder producing stronger autumn colours.The richest colour in the garden has been the reds of the Boston IvyParthenocissus tricuspidata... 



...fallen leaves gathered here at the bottom of the steps...



...and the Nandina domestica. This year for the first time whole leaves have coloured evenly on a frond. 

I was very pleased to have the nandina to take to last weeks Ikebana International meeting as the theme was 'Autumn Grasses in a basket'. I had the 'Autumn' and 'basket' parts but not the grasses.



This is the arrangement I made using the Nandina, begonia coccinea and two pomegranate fruits given to me by my ikebana teacher Elizabeth. This is a freestyle autumn arrangement and I was pleased for the opportunity to use these materials together. However, I think it is technically incorrect to use such heavy pomegranate fruit in a basket.



This is the same arrangement re-worked at home in a tall ceramic vase where the visual balance works better.



The white porcelain vase with iron oxide splashes is by the Dandenong Ranges potter Arnaud Barraud. Photos from the meeting are on the I.I. Melbourne blog.

Greetings from Christopher
13th May 2018

1 comment:

  1. That drumstick flower is interesting, I have never seen it before. I do like your arrangement remade in the taller white vase, very nice Autumn feel.

    ReplyDelete